When it comes to safeguarding your vehicle or fleet, investing in an efficient and dependable vehicle tracking system is crucial. For this purpose, Thatcham trackers are a highly popular choice, well-known for their advanced features and effectiveness in preventing theft and keeping your insurance premiums low.
However, deciding which Thatcham tracker is right for your fleet can be challenging, especially with so many options on the market. In this blog, we will take a closer look at two popular Thatcham tracker categories (namely S5 and S7), to help you make an informed decision about which one is best suited to meet your vehicle or fleet’s needs.
What are Thatcham trackers?
Before we discuss both the S5 and S7 tracking devices, let’s first explore what Thatcham trackers are, and why they are such an essential component in fleet management or safeguarding your personal vehicles.
If you invest in a Thatcham approved tracker, this means it has undergone rigorous testing and certification, recognised by insurance companies as a secure solution for preventing theft and helping towards the successful recovery of stolen vehicles. Suitable for both personal and professional use, Thatcham trackers are trusted by insurance companies across the UK, making them a preferred choice for vehicle owners today.
Some of the key features of Thatcham trackers include GPS reporting capabilities and 24/7 tracking for an immediate response to theft. Some models may also have additional features like driver recognition cards and remote immobilisation options.
Thatcham S7 Trackers
S7 trackers are small devices that can be discreetly installed on your vehicle, ensuring they remain concealed and unnoticeable to outsiders. Once fitted, the trackers offer real-time vehicle data, providing valuable information such as:
- Battery Voltage Level
- Ignition Status
- Current Location
- Travel Duration
S7 vehicle tracking systems use GPS and GSM technology to collect location data for your vehicle. You can easily access the tracker data using a mobile app which is compatible with your vehicle tracking system. This means that, if your vehicle is stolen, you will receive an immediate notification to inform you of the incident.
Both S7 and S5 trackers also have a handy feature called Tow and Tamper, an app which immediately notifies the owner of the vehicle every time it has been moved without proper authorisation.
Thatcham S5 Trackers
In addition to all the same features as the S7 tracker, the S5 offers access to an Automatic Driver Recognition (ADR) system for added security. To comply with this feature, each driver will be allocated an identity card that is to be carried around at all times. This way, if the vehicle is operated by anyone without the card, the driver will be immediately alerted.
Often requested by insurers for high-value vehicles, the S5 Tracker offers individuals some of the most sophisticated anti-theft software available today.
How does the S5 differ from the S7?
Both the S5 and the S7 are tracking systems approved by Thatcham. However, there are a few key differences that can help you make a more informed decision about which tracker is most fitting for your fleet or personal vehicle.
The main difference between the S5 and S7 vehicle trackers primarily lies in one feature — Automatic Driver Recognition (ADR). With the ability to accurately identify the driver operating the vehicle at any given time, fleet managers or owners ensure the vehicle is only being used by authorised persons. While the S5 tracker is fully equipped with this feature, S7 vehicle trackers are not.
This also means that the S7 comes at a lower price point than the S5, making it a good choice for anyone on a budget.
Advantages of using a Thatcham approved vehicle tracker
Some of the advantages of S5 trackers include, but are not limited to:
- Excellent security features: Both the S5 and S7 trackers are equipped with robust security features to protect your vehicle or fleet of vehicles. These trackers incorporate advanced technologies such as GPS tracking and tamper alerts to inform you of your vehicle’s safety.
- Reduced Insurance Premiums: Installing either the S7 or S5 tracker helps demonstrate a commitment to vehicle security, which can lower insurance premiums as a result. In fact, both the S5 and S7 Thatcham trackers are approved by all major insurance companies in the UK.
- Peace of mind: The presence of S5 or S7 vehicle tracking systems helps to provide fleet owners, drivers, and managers with added confidence that their vehicle is safe. Knowing that they are equipped with reliable and effective security systems helps to enhance safety, fostering a sense of security whilst out on the road.
How do I choose the best tracker for my vehicle or fleet?
Deciding upon the best car tracker for your vehicles will largely depend on your personal requirements and budget. However, it is important to remember that both the S5 and S7 vehicle trackers are Thatcham approved, meaning that, whatever your choice, you will have access to a tracker with some of the most highly-regarded and advanced security features on the market today. Some factors to take into consideration prior to purchase could include:
- Cost: As S7 trackers offer a more basic form of security for your vehicle, these devices tend to be a cheaper alternative to the S5. Therefore, if you are looking for a more affordable tracking system for a large fleet or want to save money on protecting your vehicle, we would recommend opting for the S7.
- Size of Fleet: If you have a large fleet or anticipate future growth, consider the scalability of the tracker solution. Ensure it can accommodate the number of vehicles in your fleet and has the capability to scale up as your fleet expands.
- Features: If you possess high-value vehicles with a greater demand for safety, the S5’s enhanced security features will give you access to more advanced features to ensure your fleet is protected. Additionally, if you are looking for an even more sophisticated level of Thatcham tracking security, you might also be interested in the S5 Plus vehicle tracker. With unique features such as remote immobilisation, fleet managers can feel confident that their team is safe at all times.
By considering your fleet’s specific needs, weighing the advantages of both trackers, and deciding which one aligns best with your fleet’s requirements, this is the best way to determine which tracker is better suited for your fleet.
Invest in Thatcham-approved vehicle tracking today
Investing in Thatcham trackers is a wise decision for fleet owners who want to protect their vehicles from theft and ensure efficient fleet management. Both S5 and S7 trackers offer advanced features and reliable security, but their differences lie in the level of functionality and capabilities they provide.
Here at Crystal Ball, we provide tracking systems for a wide range of vehicles. Whatever type of security you are looking for, our goal is to help you find the best solution to keep your fleet secure. For more information about vehicle tracking for your fleet, feel free to contact us today and our team will be happy to assist with any issues you might have.